How to Care for Your Skin?
Diabetic patients often suffer from a lot of skin issues during summer like carbuncles, boils, abscesses, furuncles and these infections get quite serious at times if proper care is not taken. Some simple precautions can prevent these infections.
- Diabetic patients sweat a lot and infections may also arise due to perspiration.
- Take a proper bath at least twice a day. Bathing followed by an antiseptic lotion will prevent bacterial growth on your body.
- Wear light-weight, free flowing cotton clothes for proper ventilation. Avoid synthetic clothes altogether.
- Always use a sunscreen whenever going out. Sunburns result in rising blood sugar level. Buy a sunscreen with high SPF to protect your skin from sunburns.
- Do not forget to use sunscreen when you go for a long drive with your friends or spouse. You may think that you are inside the car and the sun won’t harm you; but the sun rays reach your skin through windows and open sunroofs. So sunscreens are a must even if you are inside a car.
- It is most important to the maintain glucose level in your diet.
How to Care for Your Feet?
Those suffering from chronic diabetes, suffer from foot injury and infection or ulceration as they have poor glycaemic control.
- Inspect your feet regularly for any infections or cellulite.
- Always keep your feet clean, wash and dry them properly and keep following up with your doctor.
- During summers feet have a tendency to sweat with the socks and closed shoes. Opt for cotton socks. Avoid synthetic material as much as possible.
- If you go out for a vacation or picnic, on a beach, avoid walking bare-footed. Although it is fun walking on the sand without shoes and sandals, diabetic patients should never do that. Go for flip-flops that are fashionable and at the same time will protect your feet from any cuts and sores. For those with high blood sugar level, simple cuts can lead to infection and take a lot of time to heal.
How to Deal With Dehydration?
With the rise in blood sugar level, urination is one of the symptoms of diabetic patients. As the extreme heat and humidity leads to excessive sweating, therefore they get dehydrated very soon. If you do not drink water with the fear that you have to urinate again and again, then it may lead to adverse situations like dry mouth. Sweating will reduce and urination will also decrease considerably which is not very good for your health.
Dehydration in diabetic patients can be so serious that it may also lead to the damage of the brain and other organs.
So let’s look at some simple tips for hydration:
- Even if you feel mildly dehydrated then, immediately drink a lot of water to compensate for the water loss from your body through perspiration and urine. Whenever you go out in the sun for workouts or even yoga, carry a bottle of water with you so that you can keep yourself properly hydrated.
- Summer calls for a lot of fresh fruit juices, coconut water, soda and aerated cold drinks which are quite tempting; but all of these are very high in glucose. So if you are diabetic, avoid all of these drinks. Even alcohol and coffee or chocolate drinks should be strictly avoided. Having lime water is a much safer option.
- Diabetic patients should opt for swimming and practice yoga. Avoid working out in the gym as it leads to more sweating and fatigue.
- If you experience any of these symptoms, immediately go to an air conditioned room and drink plenty of water.
- Don’t forget your medications.
Summer Diet Tips for Diabetic Patients:
Healthy diet means a healthy life. Diabetic patients have a fetish for food and they feel hungry and thirsty frequently, therefore they should take proper care of what they should eat.
Summer season calls for barbeque parties. Quite tempting, though the food and drinks may sound, you may need to control your temptations. Whenever you go out to attend such parties, make sure you eat your prescribed diet to keep yourself quite full so that you do not get tempted to try out those unhealthy palates.
- If you are a non-vegetarian, have some grilled chicken breast and fish instead of those tandoori leg pieces. Fried chicken pieces and red meat may beckon you but avoiding them is quite a smart move.
- Try and avoid non-veg altogether and fill your plate with some colorful veggie salads. Don’t use mayo to dress, instead use mustard sauce.
- If you decide to imbibe alcohol, have half a peg or even better, you can go for a cocktail.
- Avoid desserts or opt for some fresh fruits.
These are some health tips you should never forget to enjoy sunny, fun-filled summer days! Manage your diet and health and you can have a blast without any worries.