The devastation caused by Hurricane Harvey is enormous and continues to impact people across the Gulf. Funimation is based in Texas, and here we are witnessing neighbors helping neighbors in heroic acts of bravery.
We want to help.We don’t know when the storm will let up, but we do know that right now people are without basic needs. Some have lost everything and people will be affected for years to come.
On that note, if you're someone who has the means to help, here's how you can assist:
- If you live in the Houston area and have a high-water safe boat, you are being asked to immediately help with rescue efforts.
- In you're not in the area, you can donate money to the American Red Cross, via its website or by text, to 90999. Apple is also letting users donate to the American Red Cross directly on iTunes and in the App Store.
- Americares is delivering relief supplies and working with a local clinic in Houston. You can donate to the Connecticut-based emergency response organization here.
- All Hands, a nonprofit, has staff on the ground in Texas, and is in contact with emergency management officials. You can give here.
- Crowdfunding site Global Giving is attempting to raise $2 million for funds that will "exclusively support local relief and recovery efforts from this storm." You can contribute here.
- Airbnb has launched a site connecting people looking for a place to stay with those who can offer shelter. Anyone who checks in before Sept. 1 will have their lodging fees waived.
- United Way of Greater Houston has set up a relief fund that you can access here; the organization's first priority is shelter and basic needs, but it will also be focusing on long-term recovery efforts.
Before donating to a charity, check in with a charity-monitoring organization like GiveWell, Charity Navigator, Charity Watch, or the Better Business Bureau to ensure they're legit.
New West Physicians is #HarveyRelief